[Dovecot] dsync deleted my mailbox - what did I do wrong?

Jiri Bourek bourek at thinline.cz
Fri Apr 4 14:48:48 UTC 2014

Hi

> - where did I fail (ignoring the backups, please. That's .. something I
> know)

 From the man page: "backup - Backup mails from default mail location to
location2 (or vice versa, if -R parameter is given). No changes are ever
done to the source location. Any changes done in destination are discarded."

The last sentence describes what happened to you: all new mail on the
new machine is a "change" and was discarded (by deleting new mail.) If
I'm not mistaken, this is correct behaviour for backup mode - you get
exact copy of the source side (maildir:/tmp/mail_backup) on destination
side (dar at darklajid.de)

> - Can I use dsync ... for backups? I don't think that this is a good
> idea after yesterday night?

AFAIK you can safely use it to make the backup. I'm not sure if it can
be reliably used to restore data (don't think so but I'm not an expert.)
I'd use doveadm import for that.