[Dovecot] Sieve (randomly?) flagging messages as \\Seen \\Deleted

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Fri Apr 4 16:31:39 UTC 2014

On 4/3/2014 1:28 PM, Emanuele Balla (aka Skull) wrote:
[...]
> The problem in short:
>
> Messages I expected to find in certain folders were simply not there,
> although sieve logs reported them as delivered in those same folders.
> By manually inspecting the maildir, I actually found the messages, but
> they were all flagged as \\Seen + \\Deleted and therefore not displayed
> by the MUA (ThunderBird in my case).
[...]
> In order to try restricting what may be causing the issue, I added...
>
>         removeflag "\\Deleted";
>         removeflag "\\Seen";
>
> ...to the rule sending messages to the dedicated folder cited above for
> my mailbox.
> The problem apparently disappeared for me as long as I kept those in place.
>
> This should mean (I suppose) that the decision of flagging messages that
> way is taken before the users' sieve scripts are applied (sort of
> "hidden sieve_before").
[...]
> So, a question for people knowing pigeonhole's internals: does it ever
> choose to mark messages as described above for any reason? If yes, I may
> be triggering this behavior with something I recently added/modified,
> and at least I'll have something to focus my investigation on. :-|

Sieve doesn't add flags unless it is explicitly told to do so. The
behavior you describe is therefore quite bizarre, especially since using
removeflag seems to provide a workaround.

What does your full Sieve script look like?
What is your full configuration?
Do you perhaps return a sieve_before setting from userdb?

Regards,

Stephan.