[Dovecot] sieve pigeonhole vacation filter responding when recipient is not explicitly listed

Milan Cvetkovic milan.cvetkovic at mpathix.com
Wed Apr 9 19:19:03 UTC 2014

Thanks, that helped, although I am still somewhat puzzled:

# /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda \
     -d user \
     -f john.doe at somewhere.com \
     -a aliastouser at mpathix.com \
     -r user at mpathix.com \
     -p /tmp/test.email

does not send vacation with my posted 'devecot -n' configuration

But from:
<http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Extensions/Vacation#Configuration>

I was under the impression that I should also use

plugin {
   sieve_vacation_use_original_recipient = yes
}

However, vacation is not sent only when this option is set to 'no' (or
defaulted to 'no')

Am I misunderstanding 'sieve_vacation_use_original_recipient' option:

"This specifies whether the original envelope recipient should be used
in the check for implicit delivery. The vacation command checks headers
of the incoming message, such as To: and Cc: for the address of the
recipient, to verify that the message is explicitly addressed at the
recipient. If the recipient address is not found, the vacation action
will not trigger a response to prevent sending a reply when it is not
appropriate. Normally only the final recipient address is used in this
check. This setting allows including the original recipient specified in
the SMTP session if available. This is useful to handle mail accounts
with aliases. Use this option with caution: if you are using aliases
that point to more than a single account, senders can get multiple
vacation responses for a single message. Use the LDA -a option or the
LMTP/LDA lda_original_recipient_header setting to make the original SMTP
recipient available to Sieve. "

Thanks, Milan