[Dovecot] integration of old mails into new dovecot Maildir

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Mon Apr 14 06:18:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014, K. C. Mohan wrote:

Please, do not top post.

> Thank you Steffen, for addressing my problem of migrating old mails into new
> mail server. I went through the article you pointed to but could not
> succueed. I will appreciate if you could guide me to step by step process to
> migrate the mails. My old mail server used 2.x dovecot version.

you post very little information:

1) how are the messages storred on the old server, which storage backend
do you use, maybe Maildir?

2) the storage backend on the new server?

3) do you care about the message UIDs?

4) How many users do you have (approx.) and can you access the user's
mailboxes via IMAP, e.g. using a master user or do you know their password
or can you switch to a known password during migration of one particular
user?

5) Did you've changed namespaces?

- From your first post I figure that the basic mail server functionality of
the new server is working, most importantly login, message delivery and
retrieval.