[Dovecot] migration advice

Raphael Bauduin rblists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 11:32:19 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am preparing a migration from courier-imap to dovecot.
The maildir is in each user's home directory, and /home is mounted by NFS.
All this running in a kvm virtual machine.

My plan would be to create a new virtual machine (with another IP) with
dovecot, mounting the same /home, and switching a couple of users to
dovecot for testing purpose.
If the tests go well, I would then migrate the other users and assign the
IP address of the courier imap kvm to the dovecote kvm.

Does that make sense? Or can it be problematic to have some users switched
to dovecot while their maildir directory is still accessible to
courier-imap?

Looking forward to reading your feedback, thanks in advance!

Raph