[Dovecot] Hash Verification with doveadm

Andreas Krischer - AKbyte a.krischer at akbyte.com
Fri Apr 18 22:29:55 UTC 2014

Hello!

I have a problem with the doveadm tool. I’m trying to verify a hash from my MySQL-Db with the following command:

doveadm pw -p '123' -t '{SHA512-CRYPT}$6$e3TLkiahfHFv29/J$8etBEtmbh06B72kc1TpetT/k8aHkQrJAPQVpTGDYuzyHZX4MwU2PeL2cIupNEoUUGt6SLB0N7xNqbbqp/5OZo.'

I'm expecting that it says verified or not, but it prompts for a password, so the „-p“ parameter does not work. I need this, because I want to use the verification in a shell script and for that it have to work without a prompt.

I hope you guess what my problem is :)

My configuration:
# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.41-042stab078.27 i686 Debian 7.4 reiserfs
auth_mechanisms = plain login
mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
protocols = " imap sieve pop3"
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/mailserver.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/mailserver.pem
userdb {
  args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%d/%n
  driver = static
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " sieve“
}

Regards,
Andi

PS: Sorry for my bad English, I’m just a 16 year old guy from Germany ...