[Dovecot] Changing SSL certificates - switching from self-signed to RapidSSL

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Sat Apr 19 08:44:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 10:20:39 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> and where does it lead to trigger warnings all over the planet and train
> people to ignore them? in case of a mailserver that's not a real big
> problem because they amount of users is limited
>
> on a public website it is insane to present a browser warning as welcome message
>
> if there is a working replacement, widely supported by client-software
> and useable or the ordinary enduser - fine - let us adopt it - until
> that does not exist you are talking bullshit
>
> well, i have an offer for you:
> you pay the support calls caused by certificate warnings, you pay also the
> harm of other ignored warnings as result of train monkeys, you go out and
> make *every* enduser to a tech person understand certificates and SSL before
> and after that we all start to drop CA certificates
>
> deal?

So you like market behaviour. Don't you think that the market of client
software will react faster if everybody is aware of the currently unsolved
problems? My word is: make them aware. Your word is: safe money and give a
damn.
Lets stop it here, it is obvious we disagree and I guess people on the
list have heard enough to take their own decisions.

--
Regards,
Stephan