[Dovecot] Shared mailboxes not working with . dot namespace separator - values truncated in SQL

Frantisek Kucera konference at frantovo.cz
Wed Apr 23 07:23:51 UTC 2014

Dne St 23. dubna 2014 09:10:32, Robert Schetterer napsal(a):
> Am 23.04.2014 08:50, schrieb Frantisek Kucera:
> > So I suggest update in the wiki:
> >> n.b. If you have dots "." in your usernames (like `name.surname` or
> >> `name at example.com`) it is not possible to use dot as a
> >> [[Namespaces|namespace separator]]. Don't forget to use `separator = /`
> >> in such cases.>
>
> i am not sure here ,what you try to goal
> i have users with dots  ( like test.example at example.com ) in shared
> namespace, setting acls on their imap subfolders works fine, just tested

And you have "separator = ." ? I am afraid that this can't work, because if e-mail client requests folder e.g. "shared.name at example.com.some.folder" Dovecot is not able to guess where the username ends and where starts folder name. But if separator is "/" and the client requests "shared/name at example.com/some/folder" it is no problem to extract username from it and look it up in the database.

(setting ACLs also worked on my server, but users were not able to see shared mailboxes of other users)

Franta