[Dovecot] separating logs by port

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Fri Apr 25 11:30:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

I wanted to ask if there's an easy way to log the port in dovecot.

The background is that, as everyone's probably aware, pop3/imap usually
listen on two ports (110/995 for pop3, 143/993 for imap). One port is
the "classic" port that allows unencrypted and STARTTLS connections,
the other is the legacy SSL port that allows TLS only connections.

The legacy SSL ports are considered deprecated and I'd like to know if
I can deprecate them on my severs. Therefore I'd like to know how many
users use them, but at the moment I can't see which port my users use.

I haven't found an easy way to detect that. The easiest thing would be
if there'd be a way to add the port number to the pop3-login/imap-login
lines in the log files. Any way to do that?

cu,
--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/