[Dovecot] doveadm import : Error creating new mailbox

Administrator BCS adje at bezoekerscentrumsonsbeek.nl
Tue Apr 29 14:57:29 UTC 2014

  Citeren Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de>:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014, Administrator BCS wrote:
>
>>> mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n
>
>>> userdb {
>>>   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
>>>   driver = sql
>>> }
>
> BTW: What home directory are you using? It is not recommended to run
> with mail (dir) == home (dir). Insofar, it might be better to add the
> pseudo standard Maildir to mail_location.

I don't know if I fully understand your question. I am trying to
import mail from an old system running mbox (inbox in
/var/mail/username and the rest in /home/username/mail/), to a new
system running Postfix/Dovecot with virtual mailboxes for separate
domains. So the mail users on the new system do not have a linux
account anymore and therefore no homedir either. Their mail is stored
by the virtual mail handler in /home/vmail/domain.nl/username/. Worth
mentioning maybe that initially it used /var/vmail/ but I moved it
from /var to /home for reasons of file system space and edited the
postfix- and dovecot configs accordingly.

As a test I copied some individual mbox files from the old system to a
temporary folder on the new one and tried to import those files to the
corresponding maildirs of the users on the new system using doveadm
import, which failed. Maybe it simply does not work that way and
should I go for the direct full mbox>maildir conversion from the old
server to the new one.

As you suggested earlier, copying to maildir converted box manually to
the vmail folders and editing the subscriptions file is a way to get
it to work but it is very labour intensive.

--
Systeembeheer Bezoekerscentrum Sonsbeek