permission denied

Joe Reid jreid at vnet.net
Sun Aug 3 22:32:21 UTC 2014

I'm getting 2 errors which are probably related, the second of which I
haven't actually seen an issue with yet (I just found it looking at the
error log)

The issue is that I cannot change my subscriptions through Thunderbird
(version 31.0).  I created the subscriptions through Thunderbird, but
now it won't let me change them.  dovecot responds with sutff like this
when I sniff network traffic or configure Thunderbird to log IMAP traffic:
10 NO [NOPERM] No permission to modify subscriptions

The time stamp on the .subscriptions.lock file gets updated every time I
try to make a change.  To test I edited .subscriptions by hand and
forced Thunderbird to try to subscribe something and I got access to the
folder I added, so I presume it is reading the file correctly.

Permissions on~jreid/mail is 0700, the existing .subscriptions file is
0640 and .subscriptions.lock file is 0600.  all the files are owned by
me and their group is my primary group (not mail).

As for the second error, the dovecot.index.log.newlock file gets created
but no dovecot.index.log file gets created.  And dovecot would have
created the directory tree to those files itself...

I'm new to dovecot but not Unix or IMAP so I'm sure this is just some
configuration option I've missed, any help would be most appreciated.

$ /opt/csw/bin/doveconf -n
# 2.2.12: /etc/opt/csw/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: SunOS 5.11 i86pc
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_uid = 100
mail_access_groups = mail
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/share/mail/%u
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
protocols = imap
ssl_cert = </etc/opt/csw/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/opt/csw/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}
$ doveadm log errors
[...]
Aug 03 16:47:02 imap(jreid): Error:
rename(/home/jreid/mail/.subscriptions.lock,
/home/jreid/mail/.subscriptions) failed: Permission denied
Aug 03 16:52:49 imap(jreid): Error:
rename(/home/jreid/mail/2012/.imap/Received/dovecot.index.log.newlock,
/home/jreid/mail/2012/.imap/Received/dovecot.index.log) failed:
Permission denied

--
joe