Defer email via LMTP when there is 'no space left on device' instead of rejecting it

Christian Rohmann crohmann at netcologne.de
Tue Aug 5 11:45:31 UTC 2014

Hey Timo and all,

may I PING this subject once again to maybe get Timo's opinion.

On 23.07.2014 11:26, Christian Rohmann wrote:
> Bounced / rejected messages for something that will be usually be
> resolved very quickly and the messages can then be delivered after all
> is just not very nice for users. The admin made a mistake and the users
> have to deal with the problems is just not my approach.
>
> But in the end I don't even want to argue that rejecting the messages
> might not be a valid behavior for some. That's why I suggested to make
> this configurable, just like the quota behavior.

I'd really like to hear Timo's view on having lmtp do a (configurable)
DEFER when the disk is full which is, most likely, a "temporary" error.

Storage is cheap nowadays, it just has to be configured to the right
volume and at the right time. Would be nice of Dovecot would not punish
users (by bouncing their mail) for mistakes the admin made ;-)

Thanks,

Christian