invalid/unknown path to storage

Benjamin Connelly ben at electricembers.coop
Thu Aug 7 19:21:23 UTC 2014

Am I correct: pigeonhole now wants the symlink to the filter file to use
an absolute path instead of the relative paths we had?

i.e.) sieve-filterfile@ -> /home/mail/domain/user at domain/roundcube.sieve
instead of sieve-filterfile@ -> roundcube.sieve

Dovecot logs these:

dovecot: managesieve(user at domain.org): Warning: sieve-storage: Active sieve script symlink /home/mail/domain.org/user at domain.org/sieve-filterfile is broken: invalid/unknown path to storage (points to roundcube.sieve).

and the debug log:

Jul 29 15:37:59 managesieve(user at domain.org): Debug: sieve: Pigeonhole version 0.4.3 initializing
Jul 29 15:37:59 managesieve(user at domain.org): Debug: sieve: include: sieve_global_dir is not set; it is currently not possible to include `:global' scripts.
Jul 29 15:37:59 managesieve(user at domain.org): Debug: sieve-storage: using active sieve script path: /home/mail/domain.org/user at domain.org/sieve-filterfile
Jul 29 15:37:59 managesieve(user at domain.org): Debug: sieve-storage: using sieve script storage directory: /home/mail/domain.org/user at domain.org/
Jul 29 15:37:59 managesieve(user at domain.org): Debug: sieve-storage: using permissions from /home/mail/domain.org/user at domain.org/: mode=0700 gid=-1
Jul 29 15:37:59 managesieve(user at domain.org): Debug: sieve-storage: relative path to sieve storage in active link:

I found if I manually delete a symlink and replace it using the full path:

  sieve-filterfile -> /home/mail/domain.org/user at domain.org/roundcube.sieve

then everybody is happy. So I'm looking to make a configuration change
(and then change all existing symlinks.) I just wanted to check with the
list about the two settings we return as part of the user_query:

  concat(homedir, maildir, 'sieve-filterfile') as sieve,
  concat(homedir,maildir) as sieve_dir

In testing it seems like changing 'sieve' to return not the whole path but
just the link name, actuall causes pigeonhole to properly make the symlink
with full path! Does this seem right?

FreeBSD (8.4)
dovecot-pigeonhole (0.4.3_1)
dovecot2 (2.2.13_3)