Dovecot, Thunderbird and messages in wrong folder

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Aug 8 07:47:28 UTC 2014

Am 08.08.2014 um 07:34 schrieb Gerhard Wiesinger:
> Sometimes it happens that messages (e.g. one or two) appear in wrong folders in Thunderbird (latest version, also
> past versions, different computers, also Earlybird). When I repair the folder (folder/Settings/Repair Folder) in
> Thunderbird, the folder is correct then.
>
> It happens on my new server with Fedora 20, Dovecot 2.2.13 and Maildir but it also happened on my old server with
> Fedora 1, Dovecot 2.2.13 and mbox.
>
> Has anyone the same issue?
> Any guess whether it might be a thunderbird or dovecot issue?
> Anyone has the same issues with thunderbird and a different IMAP server (e.g. cyrus)?

it's a TB problem and happens with dbmail-imapd too from time to time

in fact similar things are happening for sure with Apple Mail and
i would say in the one or another form it affects all clients
with local caches which had to deal with connection troubles, program
crashes or power outages at the wrong moment and my expierience shows
that folders/accounts with a desktop MUA, 2 smartphones and a tablet
are more likely affected

"repair folder" rebuilds the .msf file

once per year i stop TB and remove all .msf files from my profile
interesting what like unfinished drafts and such things sometime appear :-)