Throttling pop3-login connections

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 21:45:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

> Depends on how they are accessing it.  I use fetchmail here, without any
> working imap (so I am still a lurker trying to figure out this imap
> thing), and I have fetchmail set to scan each of 3 ISP accounts, sleeping
> 3 minutes after the scan is complete before starting the next scan.  No
> ISP has complained in the about 8 years I have been doing it 24/7/365.25
>
> Anybody hitting it at a noticeably higher rate should be encouraged to
> reconfigure their agent for a friendlier scan interval.  If that doesn't
> work, I'd study up on tar pitting.  Many email agents are essentially
> locked for the user while they scan for new mail, so I'm reasonably sure
> that would "get their attention".

Okay, that makes sense, and is in line with what I was also thinking. This
is like 30 concurrent requests, then nothing for a minute or two, then
another 30 concurrent requests.

> I just noticed the rip address and the local address aren't even in the
> same network block, that would make me check your network as NO
> 192.168.xx.xx address is supposed to be accessible from a world wide
> address beyond your router unless you've enabled a port forward rule in
> the router.

My apologies; this was my attempt at not disclosing the network range. It's
a public range, with legitimate users accessing it from around the world.

Reindl Harald wrote:
> i would ask the user to change at least to 3 minutes instead 1
> 44000 loglines per month and user is a lot if everybody would do that

We're in the process of updating the user docs, so we'll add this to it.

Thanks so much.
Alex