Defer email via LMTP when there is 'no space left on device' instead of rejecting it

Will Yardley dovecot.org at veggiechinese.net
Sun Aug 10 04:18:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 01:31:47AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Problems that admins can solve are temporary errors for users and
> the'll need an error logged. Problems that are caused by users
> themselves (like over quota) are usually not temporary errors and they
> shouldn't have errors logged (since admin can't usually do anything
> about them anyway).

Depends on the environment; in many cases, the admin could, or may even
be expected to, raise the quota.

Also, you're assuming that users will be able to interpret an error
message, even a clear one, correctly, and that the MUA will always
convey the error to the user. I am not sure either of these assumptions
are always true. Logging is important so when the user calls in with "I
can't do X", the admin can see why quickly.