postfix-dovecot Auth USER lookup failed

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Sun Aug 10 17:40:37 UTC 2014

Pascal Volk wrote:

>> in /var/log/dovecot I read
>>   Aug 09 13:13:03 auth-worker(31472):
>>     Error: passwd(tim at localhost.gayleard.eu): getpwnam() failed:
>>     Address family not supported by protocol
>>   Aug 09 13:13:03 lmtp(31470): Error: user tim at localhost.gayleard.eu:
>>   Auth
>> USER lookup failed
>>
>> It seems that USER is set to tim at localhost.gayleard.eu rather than tim .

> your (missing) `doveconf -n` doesn't contain auth_username_format = %Ln.
> So, edit your conf.d/10-auth.conf and set auth_username_format to %Ln.

Thanks very much - that seems to have been the whole problem.
After changing %Lu (the default) to %Ln everything seems to be working,
including spam being sent to ~/Maildir/.Spam.

It does seem slightly odd to me that %u stands for user + domain,
while %n stands for user without domain?
And why is %Lu the default?
Is it just for those using an SQL user database?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net