Throttling pop3-login connections

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:41:52 UTC 2014

Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> writes:

> Okay, that makes sense, and is in line with what I was also thinking. This
> is like 30 concurrent requests, then nothing for a minute or two, then
> another 30 concurrent requests.

30 concurrent requests at 1 or 2 minute intervals?  This seems weird,
as I would expect it to be more or less randomly distributed over that
interval.  Does this happen at the top of each minute?

If what you observe is true, the only situation I can think of that
would cause this is a bunch of POP3 fetch clients running as a cron job
synchronized to a minute grid (i.e seconds=0).

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>