Special-Use Mailboxes ?

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Mon Aug 25 19:35:04 UTC 2014

On Monday 25 August 2014 21:23:57 Per Jessen wrote:
> Mihai Badici wrote:
> > On Monday 25 August 2014 21:03:26 Per Jessen wrote:
> >> Lots of people must have had this issue before me - users using
> >> different devices&software (pc, smartphone, tablet, thunderbird,
> >> outlook, webmail) and languages (e.g. English on the PC, German on
> >> the iPhone), some folders end of with different names - e.g. "Sent"
> >> and "Gesendete Elemente" - meaning the same thing, namely "sent
> >> mails".
> >>
> >> How do you map these to just one folder such that it shows up
> >> correctly independently of what the user happens to be using?
> >>
> >> It sounds like something for the
> >>
> >> mailbox "Sent" {
> >>
> >>    special_use = \Drafts
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >> config directive?  Is that what it might be used for?
> >>
> >> mailbox "Sent" {
> >>
> >>    special_use = \Sent
> >>
> >> }
> >> mailbox "Gesendete Elemente" {
> >>
> >>    special_use = \Sent
> >>
> >> }
> >
> > I think metadata support can do the job (and more) . See Kolab project
>
> Well, let's stick to dovecot for now - how do people deal with this
> issue in dovecot?

You mean not people, but mail clients. There are plugins for roundcube,
thunderbird ( ugly) kontact.  Folders are "annotated" as: mail, contacts,
calendar etc. You can associate each folder with an annotation, as, let say, a
label. But your client need to read that annotation.

In fact as I know Roundcube can do a "translation" of folder names ( you can
asign "Sent Mails" as "Gesendete Elemente" in it's config) but if you want a
more complex solution I think metadata is the right (and heavy) way.

--
Mihai Bădici
http://mihai.badici.ro