Postfix + dovecot setup

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Aug 28 23:41:18 UTC 2014

Am 29.08.2014 um 01:33 schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> I'm trying to clarify the various ways in which I could set up
> Postfix + Dovecot + SpamAssassin under CentOS-7,
> and I'd welcome any comments on the following remarks.
>
> As far as I can see there are 3 standard ways of setting this up:
>   1. Use amavisd
>   2. Use dovecot + pigeonhole/sieve
>   3. Use spamass-milter
>
> At present I'm following (2), but am thinking of going over to (1),
> since this seems simpler.
> (Amavisd wasn't available when I set up CentOS-7, so I didn't consider it
> then.)
>
> It seems to me that (2) is using dovecot in a slightly odd way,
> since as far as I can see dovecot normally takes email from ~/Maildir/cur/
> and then moves marked spam.

not dovecot related - it's a matter of reject or accept spam

you are talking about spam filtering and forgot to
mention that in the subject - in general dovecot should
not have to deal with the topic spam filer because it
should not see it at all

> I'm not quite sure if (3) is a genuine alternative,
> or if it is why it is not the standard?

define standard - but amavis or spamass-milter are not topic
of your subject - in general if you service mail for others
you need to reject spam or have to deliver it and so you
need a before-queue or become backcatter if you drop
it after accept

the drawback of a milter is that filtering happens
while the dilvering client is still connected and
you have limited ressources in most cases

with a well configured postscreen and RBL scroing
that should not be a problem until you have a really
lot incoming legit mail flow