Need help to compile and install a minimal dovecot imap plugin

Stefan Arentz stefan at arentz.ca
Sun Aug 31 18:45:25 UTC 2014

> On Aug 30, 2014, at 1:36 PM, Stefan Arentz <stefan at arentz.ca> wrote:
>
> I am trying to create a plugin that adds a new IMAP capability.

To get a much simpler example working, I’ve created a very simple ‘empty’ plugin to get the basics works.

https://github.com/st3fan/dovecot-empty-plugin <https://github.com/st3fan/dovecot-empty-plugin>

This compiles, but there is no way I can get it to actually load.

On Ubuntu 12.04.5 I have moved the empty_plugin.so to /usr/lib/dovecot/modules and I have added it to the dovecot configuration as follows:

protocol imap {
	mail_plugins = $mail_plugins empty
}

In /etc/dovecot/conf.d/20-imap.conf

No results however.

Should it actually be possible to add a new plugin to an existing install of Dovecot? Or is the plugin list hardcoded or somehow fixed?

 S.