Adding extra fields from an external source

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Tue Dec 2 08:03:31 UTC 2014

On Mon, 1 Dec 2014, Ian Allison wrote:

> I realize I could expand my LDAP but I'm wary of just importing some
> random schema.

Well, >>random<< schema ;-)
you should know what you are doing. Check what is added to your LDAP
and you'll be fine.

>                I've had mixed results doing that in the past (the qmail
> schema (http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ape/qmail.html) was
> incompatible with my existing structure, and at the moment I'm using a
> hacked version of the linux quota project's LDAP schema
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxquota/) - I'd rather have
> something a bit more official). If there is a recommended schema that
> you guys use which is stable and works well I would like to give that a
> try.

Nobody registered Dovecot attributes with IANA, because IMHO it is quite
implementor-specfic. Because of that, there cannot exist anything
"official". How many quota rules do you have? Others may have plenty more,
... . But maybe, an Dovecot arc would help some people.

However, see
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/schema.html#Extending%20Schema

"To obtain a registered OID at no cost, apply for an OID under the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) maintained Private Enterprise
arc. Any private enterprise (organization) may request an OID to be
assigned under this arc. Just fill out the IANA form at
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/enterprise.pl and your official OID will be
sent to you usually within a few days. Your base OID will be something
like 1.3.6.1.4.1.X where X is an integer.

Note: Don't let the "MIB/SNMP" statement on the IANA page confuse you.
OIDs obtained using this form may be used for any purpose including
identifying LDAP schema elements.

Alternatively, OID name space may be available from a national authority
(e.g., ANSI, BSI).

For private experiments, OIDs under 1.1 may be used. The OID 1.1 arc is
regarded as dead name space."

You could define your own attributes and objectclasses in the arc 1.1 or
get your own Private Enterprise Number. That way your additions won't
conflict with other definitions.

- --
Steffen Kaiser