Sieve permissions issue following update

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Tue Dec 9 21:00:04 UTC 2014

On 12/09/2014 07:50 PM, David Gessel wrote:
> It has been running flawlessly for quite some time until the update.
>
> Global scripts were compiled:
>
> /usr/local/etc/dovecot/sieve # ls
> 10-move-spam.sieve      10-move-spam.svbin
>
> However, I ran sievec again and tried saving a modified script and got the same:
>
> shiofuki dovecot: lda(gessel at blackrosetech.com): Error: sieve: binary save: failed to create temporary file: open(/usr/local/etc/dovecot/sieve/10-move-spam.svbin.shiofuki.blackrosetech.com.96421.) failed: Permission denied (euid=5000(vmail) egid=5000(vmail) missing +w perm: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/sieve, we're not in group 6(mail), dir owned by 143:6 mode=0775)
> Dec  9 11:30:39 shiofuki dovecot: lda(gessel at blackrosetech.com): Error: sieve: The LDA Sieve plugin does not have permission to save global Sieve script binaries; global Sieve scripts like `/usr/local/etc/dovecot/sieve/10-move-spam.sieve' need to be pre-compiled using the sievec tool
>

> I use Thomas Schmid's Sieve 0.2.3d add on to Thunderbird, if that might have any significance.
>
> Compiling with sievec shouldn't change the permission error, which I still don't understand.
>

>> [TOFU snipped}

/usr/local/etc/dovecot/sieve is not the user's sieve_dir; see
<http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Configuration>.

The GLOBAL sieve scripts (see your error message above) is manged by the
system administrator. Adnmins are using their favorite $EDITOR, the
chmod(1) and chown(1) commands. They don't need a ManageSieve client.

Regards,
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: fabaceae.1434321 at localdomain.org