devoid mailbox status for mail reloaded from a tape backup

Stephen Lidie sol0 at lehigh.edu
Wed Dec 10 11:54:59 UTC 2014

> On Dec 10, 2014, at 1:42 AM, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2014, Stephen Lidie wrote:
>
>>> For me this is working, too:
>>>
>>> doveadm -o mail_location=maildir:/home/user2/Maildir mailbox status \
>>> -u user1 all INBOX
>>
>> Eureka!! The magic incantation snippet I was seeking :) I had tried, variously, placing this simple string:
>>
>> 	"mail_location=mdbox:/home/RESTORE/homeb/userName/mail:INDEX=/home/RESTORE/var/dovecot/index/userName"
>
>> So, where exactly did I fail to find -o documented?
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm
> - -o is a global option.
>
> Dovecot v2.2.15: man doveadm
> /-o<ENTER>
> :-)
>
> man doveadm|egrep -i '\-o'
>       -o setting=value
>              ple settings, the -o option may be specified multiple times.
>
> However, I always wonder about the quoting [different shells behave differently] and would use:
>
> man doveadm|egrep -i -- -o

The reason I did not see -o is because that option is NOT documented in the man pages for my dovecot installation, for whatever reason!  Either of our egreps would have found it if only it had been there :(

[root]# man doveadm|egrep -i '\-v'
       -v     Enables verbosity, including progress counter.
[root]# man doveadm|egrep -i '\-o'
[root]# man doveadm|egrep -i -- -o
[root]# man doveadm|egrep -i -- -v
       -v     Enables verbosity, including progress counter.
[root]#

FWIW this is CentOS 7 with dovecot installed from an RPM:

[root]# yum list dovecot
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, versionlock
 * base: linux.cc.lehigh.edu
 * epel: mirror.umd.edu
 * extras: mirror.es.its.nyu.edu
 * updates: mirrors.advancedhosters.com