Failed installation on Ubuntu with Postfix/Dovecot/Squirrelmail

ghalvors78 at hushmail.com ghalvors78 at hushmail.com
Mon Dec 15 18:00:34 UTC 2014

On 12/15/2014 at 12:26 PM, "Bertrand Caplet" <bertrand.caplet at chunkz.net> wrote:

>> that I needed:
>>
>> namespace inbox {
>>     inbox = yes
>> }
>
>Hey,
>I wonder where do you have set this namespace inbox ? in 10-
>mail.conf ?

The word 'namespace' does not appear in any file within the tree of /etc/dovecot/  This was a suggestion that was offered to me from the Postfix list when I was cleaning up my postfix installation, but I wasn't certain of which file it should be in (or if it even matters from the software perspective). I'm curious how so many other users could have gotten the HOWTO to work for them without having to add this.  This is maybe day 4 of my experience with dovecot, so I am very cautious, but I can try adding this to 10-mail.conf and restart the service...

According to the mail.log, Postfix handed dovecot a message.  Might have been the test email from a couple days ago.

Hey, there is content in the directory tree of /var/mail/vhosts/example.com/bob/  That was empty before.

>> #
>> # /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf
>> #
>> mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n
>> mail_privileged_group = mail
>
>Do /var/mail/vhosts exists and is owned by mail:mail ?
>When you checked all of this try to debug dovecot, see if there is
>something in /var/log/mail.err

/var/mail/vhosts does exist and it's owned by vmail, which was a user and group that was created during the process.

drwxrwsr-x  3 vmail vmail 4096 Dec 11 12:53 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root  root  4096 Nov  7 18:39 ..
-rw-------  1 root  vmail    0 Dec 11 12:53 root
drwxr-sr-x  4 vmail vmail 4096 Dec  8 00:14 vhosts

Permissions seem to be good enough for writing to it. The privacy and permissions of the subdirectories are good too.  I'm not entirely certain why an addition mail user vmail when I already have a user called postfix and dovecot.  Anyway, the directory has been written to by dovecot since the subdirectories have changed since adding the change to 10-mail.conf and starting the server

And guess what, I can log into squirrelmail's interface just fine.  No more dropped connection to the IMAP server.

And now that the panic is over, I'd like to get smart on dovecot.