Problem with TLS and Outlook 2010

Wayne Andersen wayne.andersen at clima-tech.com
Tue Dec 16 17:09:07 UTC 2014

Thank you, see my answers below.

My preference is STARTTLS, which I assumed I would get by selecting port 143
and TLS.

> > IMAP: 14:48:40 [db] srv_name = "mail.mydomain.com" srv_addr =
> > 174.46.198.101:143
>
> is this IP correct?

Yes, it is correct.

> > IMAP: 14:48:40 [rx] * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS IDLE
> > AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.    ß----- not seeing the
> STARTTLS
> > capability here.
>
> Do you have a local Firewall or a Cisco-Router between this client and the
> server? Some firewalls filter out STARTTLS in order to scan the
transferred
> content.

No, all of these machines are on a local subnet.

> > C:\OpenSSL-Win64\bin>openssl.exe s_client -connect
> > mail.mydomain.com:993
> >
> > verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate  ß--- Yes I
> > see this and it may be an issue, but this certificate exist and is
valid.

> openssl does not guess certificates, you need to specify them on command
> line.

I am not sure I understand this. Dovecot has the certificate chain, which it
should send to the client if I understand correctly.
There may be an issue with the format of the certificate chain file, but if
there is I don’t know how to fix it.

> > ---
> > From a linux client I get :
> >
> > * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID
> ENABLE
> > IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
> >
> > I do see STARTTLS  here.
>
> does this client run in the same network as the windows client?

Yes, same local subnet, in fact the Linux client is a virtual machine
running on the same machine as the windows client.