Awfully slow dovecot

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Dec 26 19:57:06 UTC 2014

Am 26.12.2014 um 17:16 schrieb Nick Edwards:
> On 12/26/14, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> sure, you can manage anything if you write enough tools to automate
>> things, nothing new for me as software developer, but don't you think
>> there is a reason why advanced package management exists and 95% of all
>> production environments are uusing them?
>
> it takes no more than a few minutes to write a perl script to handle all.
> and you can not claim 95% of anything in real world, even if so, there
> is no difference to automated tools, than yum or apt, they can do the
> same thing and as every machine is identical, if work on dev box,
> there is no way it not work on production.

deployment yes

versioned, clean downgrades and preserve permissions, get rid of
obsolete files to keep the system clean over many years take more effort

> its simple, if it is not work on rpm, erase rpm and use source.
>
> it is silly and time waste to try log bug problem with version not
> supported in years

hence i recommended use rpmbuild and build a *override* from recent
source, in case of dovecot just build from source may be easy, if it
comes to dependencies rpm become the easier and safer way because it
would refuse to override incompatible libraries until you take care of
the dependencie tree which does not come from rpm itself but is managed
by using it