SPECIAL-USE again

Peter Mogensen apm at one.com
Mon Dec 29 20:24:31 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-29 20:45, Stephan Bosch wrote:
> For creating a special use mailbox there is the CREATE-SPECIAL-USE
> capability (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154, Section 3). As you
> suggested, the special use attributes can also be changed using the
> METADATA capability (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154, Section 4).
> Unfortunately, both of these features are not yet supported by Dovecot.

They are also basically two sides of the same feature.
For Dovecot to support CREATE-SPECIAL-USE it has to store that state
somewhere anyway... and that would probably be in a METADATA dict.

> I think it is already possible to return special use attributes from
> userdb, although I haven't verified that.

Neither have I, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. That would
probably be the easiest way to support per-user SPECIAL-USE (which I
think makes more sense than a global hardwired setting).

But to make it really useful, it would require Sieve support. Like:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05171.html

/Peter