[Dovecot] Applying a DNS RBL to deny authentication?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Feb 4 17:40:11 UTC 2014

Hope to get some attention about this idea to reduce hacking passwords.

Here is a list of about 700,000 IP addresses that are hacking passwords
through SMTP AUTH

http://ipadmin.junkemailfilter.com/auth-hack.txt

This is a list of IP addresses that attempted to authenticate against my
fake AUTH advertizing on servers with no authentication. We do front end
spam filtering for thousands of domains and I decided to advertize
authentication where there is none and I accept and blackhole all
authenticated email to those servers. I have harvested the IP addresses
in this list that is available through an RBL.

It seems to me that a nice dovecot feature would be the ability to do a
black list check against IP addresses connecting and deny access if listed.

Thoughts?