[Dovecot] BLF-CRYPT passwords

KT Walrus kevin at my.walr.us
Tue Feb 4 19:23:32 UTC 2014

I’m using the Dovecot Enterprise Edition on Centos 6.5, but Blowfish password hashes don’t seem to work.  What can I do to enable Blowfish hashes for passwords?  Maybe I don’t have my installation configured properly?

Note that I really want to use the existing Blowfish hashes in my MySQL database for Dovecot Authentication.  The hashes are generated by PHP crypt() that has Blowfish support built-in.  I looked at PHP’s sources, and PHP uses crypt_blowfish.c from http://www.openwall.com/crypt/.  This code is in the public domain and could easily be used by Dovecot to support Blowfish passwords on all platforms (if Dovecot doesn’t already support Blowfish on all platforms).

Kevin