[Dovecot] mime support for pigeonhole

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 6 09:41:33 UTC 2014

On 05/02/2014 03:50, LuKreme wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2014, at 11:50 , Tim Dickson <dickson.tim at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to filter mail with .exe and .zip attachments, to no success.
> Are you using postfix with dovecot?
I am, (standard slackware) but I will be moving to dovecot-lda so that I
can use sieve and imap with maildirs instead of mbox.
>   $ cat mime_headers.pcre
> /^\s*Content-(Disposition|Type).*name\s*=\s*"?(.*\.(ade|adp|bas|bat|chm|cmd|com|cpl|crt|dll|exe|hlp|hta|inf|ins|isp|js|jse|lnk|mdb|mde|mdt|mdw|msc|msi|msp|mst|nws|ops|pcd|pif|prf|reg|scf|scr\??|sct|shb|shs|shm|swf|vb[esx]?|vxd|wsc|wsf|wsh))(\?=)?"?\s*(;|$)/x REJECT Attachment name "$2" may not end with ".$3”
>   $ grep mime main.cf
> mime_header_checks = pcre:$config_directory/mime_headers.pcre

Very useful blocking filter, many thanks.
Does it generate backscatter.?
I have come across a number of spam emails which have more than one
address in the from field. Would this filter send the spam to those
addresses by way of a mail bounce.?

The main reason for the filtering is because our broadband data
allowance was maxed out due to spam, malware spam and backscatter. I am
having to move my mail server functionality off-site and filter it on a
vps running slackware, dovecot and pigeonhole, before collecting it per
mailbox via my internal server.