[Dovecot] Trying to get Dovecot Director Proxying working

Murray Trainer mtrainer at westnet.com.au
Thu Feb 6 14:01:21 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for all the really helpful responses to my previous
questions "Architecture for large Dovecot cluster" and "Sizing MTA
servers".

I am now trying to get a Dovecot director proxy working with a single
backend mail server.  When I try to connect to the dovecot proxy on the
pop3 and imap ports I get connection refused.   I want the
authentication to be on the backend mail server initially.  I am not
sure if I am  missing something?  More info below...

Thanks

Murray

# doveadm director status

mail server ip vhosts
                                                                                               users

27.54.95.41 100 0

# doveadm director map

doveadm(root): Error: userdb list: Disconnected unexpectedly

doveadm(root): Error: user listing failed

user mail server ip expire time

# doveadm fetch -A user ALL

doveadm(root): Error: userdb list: Disconnected unexpectedly

doveadm: Error: Failed to iterate through some users

# doveconf -n

# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

# OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 Debian 7.1

auth_cache_size = 32 M

auth_cache_ttl = 2 hours

auth_debug = yes

auth_verbose = yes

base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/

director_mail_servers = 27.54.95.41

director_servers = 27.54.95.37

disable_plaintext_auth = no

mail_debug = yes

passdb {

   args = nopassword=y proxy=y

   driver = static

}

service auth {

   unix_listener auth-userdb {

     mode = 0666

     user = dovecot

   }

}

service director {

   fifo_listener login/proxy-notify {

     mode = 0666

   }

   inet_listener {

     port = 9090

   }

   unix_listener director-userdb {

     mode = 0600

   }

   unix_listener login/director {

     mode = 0666

   }

}

service imap-login {

   executable = imap-login director

}

service ipc {

   unix_listener ipc {

     user = dovecot

   }

}

service pop3-login {

   executable = pop3-login director

}

ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem

ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem

userdb {

   args = uid=dovenull gid=dovenull home=/var/run/dovecot/empty

   driver = static

}