[Dovecot] Undertanding what the lmtp_save_to_detail_mailbox actually does

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Tue Feb 11 08:01:21 UTC 2014

On 11/02/14 07:41, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Alan Chandler wrote:
>
>> The problem I am facing is I can find no documentation about what
>> lmtp_save_to_detail_mailbox actually causes lmtp to actually do.
>> Searching the wiki refers to it only in the LMTP page.
>>
>> How should the detail of the address be formatted to specify a
>> subdirectory - can it be specified even? Should I be using it?
>
> <uid>+Sent at ...
> <uid>+users.<shared_uid>.SentNow at ...
> <uid>+Archive.2013-01 at ...
>
> I think, you must use mUTF7 for non-ASCII characters, you cannot use
> spaces and @ and many other characters impose problems. Also, which
> hierarchie separator you need to use, depends a little, just try with
> dots and the configured separator.
>
> Also, for testing I advice to enable lda_mailbox_autocreate, in order
> to see when you did wrong and can try another spelling.

Thanks - just what I needed to know.

I was about to set up an experiement, but I have to get postfix setup
first (as a vehicle for delivering mail to lmtp) and there are aspects
of that that I haven't got nailed yet.

>> Unfortunately my reading of the fileinto extension is that the
>> destination can only be a literal string and not a "computed" value
>> based on the date.
>
> that's not the problem with the variables extension. See
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Examples
> and search for
>
> fileinto "users/${name}";

Brilliant - even better.  I had searched for quite some time looking for
that and hadn't found it.

Thanks

Alan Chandler