[Dovecot] Status

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 12 16:43:45 UTC 2014

On 12.2.2014, at 22.22, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 12.02.2014 14:12, schrieb Roland Rosenfeld:
>> As far as I can reproduce my problems, this usually happens, if you
>> have a cluster of servers with mail_plugins=zlib enabled, forgot to
>> enable zlib of one of the servers and enable zlib_save.
>>
>> The zlib enabled servers write compressed mails to disk with correct
>> S-Value
>>
>> If you access these compressed mails via the server without zlib
>> plugin, this server will rename the mails to a corrupt S-value, which
>> implies that none of the zlib enabled servers can read the mails any
>> more nor repair them
>
> the real problem is having such meta-infos in a *filename*
> that's broken by design

There isn't really any better way to do it with Maildir. This isn't a problem with dbox since the size is in dbox metadata. I guess Dovecot could once again work around it by reading and uncompressing the whole mail when calculating the size, but then instead of getting errors people would just get horrible performance..