[Dovecot] Hybrid of linux user accounts and virtual user accounts configuration

Derek Winterstien 14dovecotml at robotz.com
Thu Feb 13 17:29:30 UTC 2014

Murry – my mail delivery is working fine.  The
first message even automatically creates the
Maildir structure like it should, all permissions correct.

Steffen Kaiser – I will place the output of
dovecot –n at the bottom of this message.

I've configured checkpassword which should be a
script that comes with dovecot.  However, I cant
find it in my install
. Which I thought was
standard. Not sure where to go get it from either.

See this error from the log:
dovecot: auth: Fatal:
execv(/usr/bin/checkpassword) failed: No such file or directory
dovecot: auth: Error:
checkpassword(foo,127.0.0.1): Child 29179 exited with status 84

And the pop client sees:
-ERR [IN-USE] Temporary authentication failure.

Isn't it a script rather than a binary?
Is it what should be using to read my simple virtual user flat text file?

dovecot -n

# 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-xxx.xxx.i686 i686 CentOS release 6.4 (Final)
auth_failure_delay = 10 secs
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_verbose = yes
default_process_limit = 50
disable_plaintext_auth = no
listen = *
login_greeting = Greetings!
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
passdb {
   args = /usr/bin/checkpassword
   driver = checkpassword
}
service auth {
   unix_listener auth-userdb {
     group = postfix
     user = postfix
   }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/arj22/certs/d.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/arj22/private/d.pem
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}
userdb {
   driver = prefetch
}
userdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/passwd/%d
   driver = passwd-file
}
protocol pop3 {
   pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
   pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}

EOF