[Dovecot] Cached message size larger than expected

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Fri Feb 14 05:37:43 UTC 2014

On 14/02/14 15:49, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 14/02/14 15:39, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On 14.2.2014, at 13.32, Steven Haigh <netwiz at crc.id.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Looking further into this, it seems like the file has been compressed twice:
>>>
>>> This doesn't seem right for mail that has been sent, or moved from the
>>> inbox to the trash folder...
>>>
>>> Is it possible that when the mail is moved between folders, it is
>>> somehow compressed a second time?
>>
>> Can you reproduce this by copying/moving a mail? I can't. What's your doveconf -n output?
>
> I'm digging a bit futher... I can't get the trash folder to update at
> all now via thunderbird - I'm trying to get a common method - but can't
> quite figure it out.
>
> Config attached.
>
> I'm wondering... After I enabled compression on store, I ran a script
> that went through and compressed files with gzip and compressed existing
> content - also attached.
>
> It seemed to make sense while reading through the script, so I'm not
> quite sure if its something I missed either...

I *think* I may have gotten to the bottom of this... I believe that the
locking in the script didn't work - then while the compression script
was running, dovecot delivered mail into that mailbox. This was then
compressed a second time by the compression script.

Narrowing down to the specific emails and times that the messages
causing problems were processed by Dovecot - these were all done when
the script file was being run.

As such, this is certainly not a dovecot problem and I apologise for the
noise on the list :)

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au