[Dovecot] The submission server

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Feb 17 20:06:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 2/17/2014 7:51 PM, Peter Mogensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As many others I'm looking forward to the submission server.
> But I have a question:
>
> A use-case with authenticated SMTP is to have the server restrict
> From/Sender headers based on the authenticated user. (and adding the
> actual authenticated user to the headers)
> Postfix supports this (AFAICS) and I can't imagine Exims doesn't
> either with it's elaborate config possibilities.
>
> But will that be possible with the Dovecot submission server?

The submission server is in its current design solely a proxy to a
normal MTA (which will probably change somewhat when Dovecot gets its
own MTA). So, if the backend MTA can perform this sender enforcement,
you should have your solution already. One piece of the puzzle is
important though: a method to convey the authenticated username to the
backend. For Postfix this is already implemented through XCLIENT. I
haven't looked whether Exim supports something like this.

Also, adding this feature to the submission server itself should not be
difficult either. The main problem is that it needs to obtain a list of
allowed addresses from a user database.

Regards,

Stephan.