[Dovecot] A question regarding doveadm replicator status

XarHs theoxarhs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 13:00:12 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am using Dovecot version 2.2.10. I am quite familiar with ssh replication
and I managed to set it up correctly. The only problem I see is that when i
run the command:
doveadm replicator status I get a wrong "Total number of known users" which
is
a) is different between the two (2) replicated dovecot servers, i.e. in
mail1 I get a total of 21 users and in mail2 I get a total of 20 users (it
should be the same, correct?)
b) is not matching the total number of users I have in each server (mail1,
mail2) which I am also getting when counting the total users with "doveadm"
service enabled. (the command  doveadm user '*' | wc  lists a total of 16
users for both mail1, mail2 servers, which is also the total number of
users that exist indeed in the LDAP structure with the doveadm service
enabled.

Is there any way to reset the value of "Total number of known users"? Do I
have to delete a file in /var/run/dovecot or something in order to do it?

The only way I tried (not successfully though) to reset it is by executing
the command:
for i in `doveadm user '*'` ;do doveadm replicator remove $i ; done
which does empties all existing users (16), but leaves me with
Queued 'sync' requests        0
Queued 'high' requests        0
Queued 'low' requests         0
Queued 'failed' requests      0
Queued 'full resync' requests 0
Waiting 'failed' requests     0
Total number of known users   5
in mail1 server and
Queued 'sync' requests        0
Queued 'high' requests        0
Queued 'low' requests         0
Queued 'failed' requests      0
Queued 'full resync' requests 0
Waiting 'failed' requests     0
Total number of known users   4
in mail2 server, i.e. the value is 5 (21-16) for mail1 and 4 (20-16) for
mail2 server.

After seeing that I tried to restart dovecot service, which again ended in
the following numbers:
Queued 'sync' requests        0
Queued 'high' requests        0
Queued 'low' requests         0
Queued 'failed' requests      0
Queued 'full resync' requests 0
Waiting 'failed' requests     0
Total number of known users   21
in mail1 server and
Queued 'sync' requests        0
Queued 'high' requests        0
Queued 'low' requests         0
Queued 'failed' requests      0
Queued 'full resync' requests 0
Waiting 'failed' requests     0
Total number of known users   20
in mail2 server thus their values augmented back to +16, meaning dovecot
read succesfully my 16 users.

I have not found a way to successfully reset the "Total number of known
users" numbers back to the valid 16 users, which is also returned by
running the command:
 doveadm user '*' | wc

Why do I have those differences? How is the "Total number of known users"
being calculated?
What should I do to effectively reset to to the normal value (which in my
case is 16)?

Thanks in advance.