[Dovecot] Removing Mount Points

Jeff Geiger jeff.geiger at firespring.com
Wed Feb 26 03:22:16 UTC 2014

Dovecot version 2.1.7

If a dovecot mount point (drive) dies, and the data is restored into the
same path that's no longer a mount point (subfolder), dovecot complains
about a missing mount point.  Is it safe to do a `doveadm mount remove
{path}` to fix the error since it's no longer a legit mount point?
Example: We were storing indexes on an SSD drive mounted at /mnt/ssd.  That
drive died.  I was able to put everything back into the /mnt/ssd folder (no
longer mounted, just a folder).  Everything seems to be working as
expected.  But, when I just went to dsync an account from another server to
this one, I got the following error:

dsync(sales at foo.com): Error: Couldn't create index dir /mnt/ssd/indexes/6/a/
sales at foo.com/mailboxes: Can't create mailbox root dir /mnt/ssd/indexes/6/a/
sales at foo.com/mailboxes: Mountpoint /mnt/ssd isn't mounted. Mount it or
remove it with doveadm mount remove

Would doing a `doveadm mount remove /mnt/ssd` fix my issue, or cause some
type of catastrophe?

Thanks,

Jeff Geiger
jeff.geiger at firespring.com