[Dovecot] Upgrading from 1.2.x -> 2.2.x in one step possible

Daniel Parthey d.parthey at metaways.de
Wed Feb 26 09:21:16 UTC 2014

Hello Götz,

Am 26.02.2014 08:50, schrieb Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator:
> after some off-ML discussions to and some reconsiderations, we might do
> the "big jump" from our current 1.2.17 to the atrpms 2.2.
>
> From googling and reading the dovecot upgrade wiki I don't see any (big)
> pitfalls.
>
> Basically we use the default config options, mbox, pop3s/imaps on RH EL 5.
>
> So "just" run the upgrade-config script, fingers crossed and thats it?
>
> Is it possible to do such a big step form 1.2 to 2.2?

You should at least have read these wiki articles:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.0
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.1
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.2

According to http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.2
Downgrading can be done fully safely to v2.1.16, not to versions before,
because of attribute and cache file changes.

So it is probably better to do the upgrade step-by-step, from stable
to stable version, or have a good backup.

Regards
Daniel