[Dovecot] Converting old emails to compressed format

Renaud Allard renaud at allard.it
Thu Feb 27 23:18:35 UTC 2014

Hello,

I know this question has already been asked, but I would really like a
solution here as I tried all I could find on the wiki or mail archives
I am now running dovecot 2.2.12
Compression works fine for new mails, so zlib works
Mails are currently stored using dbox

So I tried for testing
dsync -D -v mirror -u user -m Archives dbox:~/temp
dsync -o "plugin/zlib_save=xz" -D -v mirror -u user -m Archives dbox:~/temp
dsync -o "plugin/zlib_save=" -D -v mirror -u user -m Archives dbox:~/temp
dsync -o "plugin/zlib_save=" -D -v mirror -u user -m Archives maildir:~/temp
dsync -o "plugin/zlib_save=xz" -D -v mirror -u user -m Archives
maildir:~/temp

And also converting again those maildir messages to dbox (just in case
it wouldn't work from dbox format)
And also with backup instead of mirror

None of this actually works, mails are indeed copied, but not compressed

So I am wondering if there is a way to compress those mails?

Thank you