[Dovecot] Architecture for large Dovecot cluster

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Sun Jan 5 21:33:53 EET 2014

Am 05.01.2014 14:06, schrieb Murray Trainer:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to determine whether a mail server cluster based on Dovecot
> will be capable of supporting 500,000+ mailboxes with about 50,000 IMAP
> and 5000 active POP3 connections.  I have looked at the Dovecot
> clustering suggestions here:

as long as you have some load balancing and/or proxy/director with few
servers on good modern hardware you havent worry about pop3, 5000 pop3
logins per minute should work with small tuning, no idea about asked
number of imap cons

> http://blog.dovecot.org/2012/02/dovecot-clustering-with-dsync-based.html

good article, but however there are many ways how to goal this,depending
what is your budget etc, i.e you dont have to use nfs , you may consider
use cluster file systems with drbd and/or ceph or equals, at last there
many other pay solutions for solving io storage
which is the most sensible part, think about using dbox or mdbox as
mailbox format, what mailbox quota you like to offer etc

> and some other Dovecot mailing list threads but I am not sure how many
> users such a setup will handle.  I have a concern about the I/O
> performance of NFS in the suggested architecture above.  One possible
> option available to us is to split up the mailboxes over multiple
> clusters with subsets of domains.  Is there anyone out there currently
> running this many users on a Dovecot based mail cluster?  Some
> suggestions or advice on the best way to go would be greatly appreciated.

look about list archive for equal setups , ask Timo or other people for
paid support, wait for people reporting their big setups

> Thanks
>
> Murray

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer