[Dovecot] BUG report: doveadm HEADER <field> <pattern> when concatenating with another Search key

megodin at inboxalias.com megodin at inboxalias.com
Tue Jan 7 20:49:29 EET 2014

Hey there,

I'm pretty sure I've found a bug with doveadm when concatenating with
another search key.

While doveadm HEADER <field pattern> works fine when not using additional
search keys, it doesn't work properly when concatenating with other
serarch keys - it then simply seems to ignore the additional HEADER <field
pattern> search key.

It's reproduceable, also with different user accounts on 2 different
productive systems. Testing it on latest dovecot-ee 2.2.9.2 and 2.2.5.5.

I think it's best explained with showing some examples:

doveadm search -u exampleuser SUBJECT Silvester
(outputs correctly 10 matches)

5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 1106
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 1107
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 1579
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 4092
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 5330
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 9773
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 11460
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 12718
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15653
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15697

doveadm search -u exampleuser SUBJECT Silvester HEADER Return-Path
someuser at example.com
(gives exactly the same output - but this is WRONG, as the given Subject
AND Return-Path is really only found in 1 Message - uid 15697)

doveadm search -u exampleuser HEADER Return-Path someuser at example.com
(showing that Return-Path as standalone search key is working fine - note
that message uid 15697 with subject "Silvester" is also found of course.
I manually checked all Mails showing up here, they all contained the
Return-Path "someuser at example.com" as they should):

5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 14080
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 14814
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 14815
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 14820
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 14825
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 14830
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 14832
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 14833
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15427
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15428
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15430
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15431
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15697

Further testing with:

doveadm search -u exampleuser HEADER Return-Path
completegarbageforsurenotinheaders
(Correctly no output was given.)

doveadm search -u exampleuser SUBJECT Silvester HEADER Return-Path
completegarbageforsurenotinheaders
(again ignoring the additional HEADER and showing all uids which just
match the SUBJECT)

5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 1106
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 1107
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 1579
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 4092
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 5330
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 9773
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 11460
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 12718
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15653
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15697

Moreove, when playing with HEADER Reply-To it shows some strange
behaviour, note the differences with the ":" :

doveadm search -u exampleuser SUBJECT blubbs HEADER Reply-to
kacke at example.com
f64cf50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 2231
f64cf50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 2781
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 13620
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 15763

doveadm search -u exampleuser SUBJECT blubbs HEADER Reply-to:
kacke at example.com
f64cf50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 2231
5a09f50926daef51b50e000025ab05f8 13620

Can you please have a look at this and fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Megodin

--
mailstorage @ NFS with nfsvers=3 (NetApp)

# 2.2.5.5 (e5350245ad9b): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64 x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Server release 6.4 (Santiago) nfs
import_environment = TZ DEBUG_OUTOFMEM DOVECOT_HOSTDOMAIN

# 2.2.9.2 (8d71ef248a6e): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
nfs