[Dovecot] BUG report: doveadm HEADER <field> <pattern> when concatenating with another Search key

megodin at inboxalias.com megodin at inboxalias.com
Wed Jan 8 13:32:09 EET 2014

Hey Joseph!

Thanks for testing.

> I couldn't recreate this with 2.1.16.  Also, my version of "doveadm
> search" does not accept missing header patterns.  Is this corroborated
> by dumping out the header with this same search query?
>
>  	doveadm fetch -u exampleuser hdr SUBJECT Silvester \
>  		HEADER Return-Path someuser at example.com

Yes, it's same phenomenon when dumping with fetch.
Of course you can only test this properly when you really have some mails
with corresponding existing Header fields. (You can also try out other
HEADER fields, like Reply-To, References, X-Spam-Score or whatever - just
look at some mail headers of your mails and try it with existing fields.)

So E.g. When doing
doveadm fetch -u exampleuser hdr SUBJECT Silvester HEADER
Return-Path someuser at example.com

it initially outputs 13 headers (same as when using with SUBJECT Silvester
only) , when piping it to "grep -i 'Return-Path'" it even found only 3 out
of 13 headers containing a Return-Path at all, 2 of them different than
someuser at example.com - so SAME behaviour as with search.

Maybe also relevant, as mail format I'm using sdbox (on a larger user base
of 40.000 people).

--
(relevant part) of dovecot -n

# 2.2.5.5 (e5350245ad9b): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64 x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Server release 6.4 (Santiago) nfs
auth_cache_size = 100 M
auth_cache_ttl = 10 mins
auth_master_user_separator = *
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_username_format = %Ln
auth_verbose = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
import_environment = TZ DEBUG_OUTOFMEM DOVECOT_HOSTDOMAIN
listen = *
lock_method = dotlock
mail_fsync = always
mail_home = /mnt/nfs/vmails/%u
mail_location = sdbox:/mnt/nfs/vmails/%u/mail:ALT=/mnt/archivnfs/vmails/%u/mail
mail_plugins = " quota fts fts_lucene"
mail_privileged_group = mail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags
copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
mmap_disable = yes
service imap-login {
   process_limit = 200
   process_min_avail = 8
   service_count = 0
   vsz_limit = 512 M
}
service imap {
   client_limit = 1
   process_limit = 10000
}
service pop3-login {
   process_limit = 200
   process_min_avail = 8
}
service pop3 {
   process_limit = 10000
}
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol lda {
   mail_plugins = " quota fts fts_lucene sieve"
}
protocol imap {
   imap_client_workarounds = tb-extra-mailbox-sep
   mail_max_userip_connections = 50
   mail_plugins = " quota fts fts_lucene imap_quota"
}