[Dovecot] Question re: filesystem permissions

Wed Jan 8 14:34:57 EET 2014

On 2014-01-07 1:46 PM, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:
>> Anyway this is the default for Dovecot quite some time, so reckon
>> someone gave it a thought...
>
> *What* is the default. Are you saying all of the permissions I showed
> are correct except the ones you mentioned?
>
> But most importantly - *where is this documented*???

For example...

There is this wiki page:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir

Scroll down to 'Directory Structure' - what dovecot wants/recommends for
the filesystem permissions should be addressed right there.

Then you also have:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Permissions

As far as I can see, there are only two cases that need to be addressed:

  a) If dovecot runs as a single UID (ie, vmail), or

  b) If mail is delivered with each users UID (I guess the argument is
it is more secure)

The other consideration would be working with Shared Mailboxes, but
again, the filesystem permissions should only need to be set one of two
ways (depending on a or b above), then dovecot should be able to
properly handle everything from there.

In my opinion, this needs to be clarified quite a bit.

Postfix and Mailman both have a utility to fix the filesystem
permissions for the dirs they manage. I know they are not dovecot, but
the argument is the same. Even without a utility to actually be able to
fix the permissions based on the mode dovecot is running in, they should
at least be fully documented.

--

Best regards,

Charles