[Dovecot] Disallow certain characters in foldernames?

Wed Jan 8 20:35:15 EET 2014

On 2014-01-08 1:06 PM, Robert Schetterer <rs at sys4.de> wrote:
> Am 08.01.2014 18:52, schrieb Charles Marcus:
>> >Is there a way to do this in dovecot? Similar to how you can
>> >
>> >When using Maildir and Thunderbird, if a user tries to a create folder
>> >named "test.1" or "test/1", dovecot will happily create a folder called
>> >"test", with a subfolder called "1".
>> >
>> >Worse, the top level folder "test" is greyed out, which is how
>> >Thunderbird displays a folder that can contain only other folders, not
>> >both folders and files.
>> >
>> >I want to disallow this. Obviously I'd prefer if Thunderbird would
>> >display a meaningful error, but most likely dovecot cannot control that.
>> >
>> >I don't really care if the user just gets some kind of weird generic
>> >error or not, I'd just prefer to prevent dovecot from creating the
>> >problematic folders, and explain the problem to the user if/when they
>> >call about it (after NOT reading my carefully crafted documentation
>> >explaining the illegal characters that cannot be used in foldernames).

> what about, let the user create such folders
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Listescape

Thanks Robert - I did see that and considered asking about it...

So, would this be as easy as just adding:

mail_plugins = $mail_plugins listescape

namespace private {
   separator = $
   inbox = yes
}

Or whatever I want to use for the separator (I was thinking maybe either
the tilde (~) or the backtick (`), since I don't think anyone would ever
use one of those...

Also - if someone *did* use whatever character was specified - what
would happen? The same thing as happens now if they use a '.' or '/'?

Thanks again

Charles