[Dovecot] SSL/TLS handshake stays forever without timeout

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Tue Jan 14 21:26:30 EET 2014

On 01/14/2014 04:42 PM morrison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a system admin and I am evaluating using dovecot as our email server. In my test, I found that if I telneted to 993 port and did not do anything or I telneted to 143 port, sent starttls command and then did not do anything, the connection stayed forever without timeout. This will make our mail server vulnerable to DOS attack. I dig into dovecot Wiki and did not find any solution. This seems to me that dovecot does not handle SSL/TLS handshake timeout. I am wondering if this is a known issue and will be fixed in near future.
>
> Thanks,

Please define 'forever'

I just did `time openssl s_client -connect mail.example.com:143
-starttls imap` (and nothing else):

CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=0 CN = mail.…
…
. OK Pre-login capabilities listed, post-login capabilities have more.
* BYE Disconnected for inactivity.
closed

real    3m0.377s
user    0m0.016s
sys     0m0.000s

As you can see, Dovecot closed the connection after three minutes.

Regards,
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: fabaceae.1401420 at localdomain.org