[Dovecot] SSL/TLS handshake stays forever without timeout

Andreas Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Wed Jan 15 00:54:37 EET 2014

Am 14.01.2014 20:38 schrieb Adrian Zaugg:
> This is not the test morrison has suggested. Doing his test with telnet
> and thus not complete the SSL handshake, the connection stays open much
> longer than 3 Minutes. I closed the connection now manually after a
> little more than 2 hours. This is on Dovecot 2.1.7.
same here with dovecot-2.2.10

$ date; telnet imaphost 143
Di 14. Jan 21:57:59 CET 2014
<IMAP dialog>
. starttls
. OK Begin TLS negotiation now.

now it's 23:53 ant the tcp connection is still established.

in contrast: postfix-2.11
$ date; telnet mx 25; date
Di 14. Jan 23:42:45 CET 2014
<SMTP dialog>
starttls
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
Connection closed by foreign host.
Di 14. Jan 23:48:10 CET 2014

looks like postfix handle the timeout smarter.

Andreas