[Dovecot] Architecture for large Dovecot cluster

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Jan 25 05:23:26 EET 2014

This went to me only so bringing back on list.

On 1/24/2014 11:09 AM, Tom Johnson wrote:
> Is anybody using the Object Storage plugin for large-scale
> installations?

I've not used it.

> We're considering it, but are thinking of an in-house
> S3 storage system (riak, or ceph, or ?)   Looking to support perhaps
> 300k users.  I was thinking that if we use a bank of dovecot servers
> (with director) with ssds as cache, we might be able to consolidate
> all the storage on something like a riak cluster, which would make
> scaling simple and inexpensive - certainly much less than a NetApp
> solution.

Everything costs less than a NetApp...except an EMC.

> If anyone has any first-hand experience (or even
> off-the-top-of-their-head thoughts), I'd love to hear them)

Distributed filesystems give you the advantage of a single filesystem
namespace with massive amounts of storage, fairly easy addition of
storage space, and distributed replication to allow failure of a storage
node without service interruption.

Replication mitigates node failure, but not disk failure, so you still
need RAID in each node.  So you have RAID6 in a node and filesystem
block mirroring amongst nodes.  Thus storage utilization is -worse- than
direct attach, CFS on SAN, or NFS head attached RAID10 and far worse
than RAID6 in these 3 setups.  And if using large SSD cache you'd surely
use RAID6 with DAS, CFS, or NFS.  You'd need half as many disk drives vs
DFS.

Each DFS expansion, assuming the typical model, entails the cost of a
server, RAID HBA (unless using md) and disks, not strictly buying disks
as with DAS, CFS/SAN, or NFS filer.  Then you also need more switch
ports, more power connections, greater UPS capacity due to all the CPUs,
RAM, etc in the nodes.  And you'll have a higher electric bill.

So while a distributed filesystem storage architecture may seem less
expensive it may not be.  And just as one can build a DIY DFS cluster,
one can also build a DIY NFS cluster instead of buying a NetApp, saving
significant cash on the front end box and on disks since you'd need half
as many vs a distributed filesystem architecture, though failure of one
node may not be quite as graceful as with a NetApp losing a controller
board.

--
Stan