[Dovecot] Auth socket can't listen using ssl

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jan 27 19:08:04 EET 2014

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:46:55 +0100
Anthony Bourguignon <contact at toniob.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Dovecot 2.2.9 (debian package on testing).
> It seems that it's not possible to open an auth socket using ssl. I'm
> using this configuration :
>
> service auth {
>   [...]
>   inet_listener authxmpp-client {
>     address = [ips]
>     port = 5220
>   }
>   inet_listener genericauth-client {
>     ssl = yes
>     address = [ips]
>     port = 5221
>   }
>   [...]
> }
>
> Both ports are running fine. But the 5221, which should listen in ssl
> (because of the "ssl = yes" as written in the documentation here :
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Services ) is using plaintext.
> If I telnet directly to it, the content is delivered on an unsecured
> socket.
>
> Is there a way to make ssl works on this kind of socket ?
>
> Thanks a lot

I read in some docs somewhere that Dovecot automatically
trusts anything on localhost. If you're telnetting into it from the same
physical computer that hosts the port,  try telnetting into it from a
different physical computer with a different IP address and see if you
can still telnet in.

Of course, if you were already doing that, then please ignore my
email :-)

Thanks,

SteveT